Sending Tcsh to packages/ports ...

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Fri Mar 29 14:14:00 UTC 2019

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> On 2019-03-29 04:59 PM, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>>
>> ed and csh are important for those that use them. I use both, not
>> always, but enough to see the importance of keeping them in the OS.
>> There is a fallacious style of argument that decodes to "If a is
>> better than b, then b is no good and it is a sign of bad character to
>> use b". There are many cases where the transition costs of moving to
>> different dependencies will be significant, especially for less well
>> informed users.
>
> What if you had access to your preferred tools via packages/ports?

I spend a fair amount of time helping people with computers I don't
control and often they don't fully control them either. Having basic tools
available in the OS allows me to help, even if it isn't the latest and
best. I can't (or at least don't want to) install a new editor or shell on
their computer, but if I need to modify fstab. ed is there, I can always
use that - even if the terminal is wonky.

Daniel Feenberg