eee-dee anyone?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Mar 29 02:29:36 UTC 2019

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 07:20:43 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> Are there still people on this list using the "ed" text-editor?
> If yes, is it just for kicks? Or is there any real advantage over "vi"?

According to historical "man ed", ed is THE STANDARD EDITOR. :-)

It's big advantage is the ability to be scripted. It can be
controlled from a shell script to create and change text files,
which is comparable to stream editors like sed or the ex mode
in vi (which, as a program, is THE VISUAL EDITOR).

I'm not sure people actually use this particular software,
but many sysadmins I know have had their share of ed during
their professional education. I'm familiar with the basics
myself, but I haven't found a case where I would have wanted
to actually _use_ ed. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany