How to force host mode for RPi Zero USB?

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Thu Mar 28 13:06:57 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have a 4-port USB hub that attaches directly to the RPi Zero board:
http://www.uugear.com/product/zero4u/ . This seems to work fine on
FreeBSD - as long as I have an OTG adapter/cable connected to the then
otherwise unused data port on the Zero, which is a quite annoying
requirement IMHO. Without it, the FreeBSD USB stack uses device mode
(as described in the handbook), and (of course) doesn't even see the
add-on hub.

According to the hub documentation
(http://www.uugear.com/doc/Zero4U_UserManual.pdf), "Linux" uses host
mode by default, and requries a DT overlay to use device mode. The
FreeBSD automatic switching is arguably more elegant, but is IMHO
inferior in a case like this (it's of course also impossible to make
any USB devices work when connected to the Zero data port *without* an
OTG adapter/cable).

So, as $SUBJECT - surely there is a way to force host mode?

--Per Hedeland