Ignoring /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local?

Kyle Evans kevans at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 20 13:14:05 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 7:56 AM Witzel, Stefan
<Stefan.Witzel at zvw.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on a system running FreeBSD 12.0 I want to run MongoDB (in a jail). According to https://vermaden.wordpress.com/tag/mongodb/ I tried to increase kern.maxproc.
>
> The default value was 99999. For testing purposes I first add
>
> kern.maxproc=100000
>
> to /boot/loader.conf and rebooted: the value has not changed; the same result editing /boot/loader.conf.local.
>
> Only if I edit /boot/defaults/loader.conf the value changed to 100000. Are there other restrictions on kern.maxproc?

Can you ship me a copy of your /boot/loader.conf (and
/boot/loader.conf.local, if it's not otherwise empty) with your
kern.maxproc addition? If you need to redact parts, please try to
leave the format otherwise intact using the following patterns:

key="secret value" -> key="<secret>"
key=secretnumber -> key=<secretnumber>

Note that key=secretnumber formatted lines (no quotes) do have to
actually have only numerics on the right hand side, generally.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans