Automatic unencryption using /etc/fstab

Alexandre Leonenko alex at esecuredata.com
Mon Mar 11 08:53:01 UTC 2019

Thanks!

________________________________
From: Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 1:40:20 AM
To: Alexandre Leonenko
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Automatic unencryption using /etc/fstab

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 08:20:46 +0000, Alexandre Leonenko wrote:
> Is it possible to use /etc/fstab to point to encryption key file
> to unencrypt a second drive on boot up?
>
> The idea that / root is already encrypted and the file will be
> as well. I want to avoid entering passwords multiple time for
> few different drives.
>
> I know Linux can already do that with the LUKS encryption and
> was wondering if same thing is possible on FreeBSD.

I think FreeBSD supports this approach natively for decades now.
Check "18.12.2. Disk Encryption with geli" in The FreeBSD Handbook:

https://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/doc/handbook/disks-encrypting.html

It is possible to use a key file without a passphrase and use it
in an automatic decrypt + mount scenario, but be aware of the
security implications. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany