What happens if?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Mar 3 18:24:28 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 22:37:57 -0500, Stuart Gray wrote:
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/porting-checksum.html
>
> What happens if I try to generate the file manually?
> I'm not mocking, I'm just trying to have a laugh as I read documentation.
> :)  SERIOUS replies only!!!!! :)

Serious reply follows. :-)

There is no problem if you use the correct method to obtain
the checksum manually, and generate the corresponding file
as if it would have been done by "make makesum". However,
the actual _method_ of how the file is generated might
change, and if you're using the "old method", while the
ports framework assumes a file generated by the "new method",
you're potentially going to run into a checksum mismatch.

See /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk of how the "makesum" target
is implemented.

The target "makesum" makes it irrelevant for the port
maintainer to know which particular method is used to
create the distinfo file. It's comparable to a library
function call where you simply call the function, without
needing to know how it works internally. Stupid analogy,
I know. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany