I've got a major question...

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Jun 28 10:42:57 UTC 2019

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 07:27:16 +0200, Polytropon stated:
>On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 22:16:04 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
>wrote:
>> Software to rent for artists could be a serious problem. I don't want
>> the software for free as in beer. I want to buy (pay for it and then
>> own) the software I want to use, since there are times when I have
>> money and there are times all I've got to eat, are the wallpapers
>> from my walls. To do some work, the software to do the work is
>> needed. If an artist can't pay the rent for the software, the artist
>> can't do the artwork to earn money.
>
>And even if you buy a book, the book will stop working.
>Repeat: The books will stop working.
>
>https://twitter.com/rdonoghue/status/1144011630197522432
>
>The "always online & for rent" doesn't just add financial problems
>as expressed above, but can also introduce new security pitfalls,
>plus the "extra pay" you (as the user) provide by allowing the
>vendor to harvest your usage behaviour and sell that to what I
>often call their real clients: the advertising industry. And if
>you don't pay, your data - the art _you_ created - is held hostage
>until you pay. Or it is "accidentally" lost in which case, as per
>the EULA, you don't have any rights for compensation.
>
>And remember: The books will stop working. :-)

Your analogy is seriously flawed on so many levels. For instance, I
purchased 5.25” floppy discs 30 years ago with programs that I cannot
now get to run on any modern OS, and that is assuming I locate a 5.25”
drive.  I won’t even bother discussing 8-inch (203 mm) media. Times
change, you must learn to accept it.

Documents created with either Adobe due not suddenly “stop” working if
you cancel your lease. They are fully available with either a
stand-alone version of Adobe or with a program capable of open PDFs. I
know because I have done it; plus, it states so on Adobe’s web site.
Nothing created by the user ceases to work.

In Adobe, you have the option of opting out of allowing Adobe to
harvest your data. There are two options, one to collect your usage
data and another to collect program data should it crash. I see no
legitimate reason to opt out of the latter, but that is an individual
decision to make.

Both Adobe’s and Microsoft’s new business model of leasing software has
proven successful. Customers like the fact that the software is kept
up-to-date, and the cost of the product has declined dramatically. In
the case of Microsoft, their Office 365 HOME offers six products, Word,
Excel, PowerPoint, One Note, Outlook, Publisher, Access, 60-minutes of
Skype, and 1TB Cloud Storage. At $99.99 for five separate installations
with up to 6 users, that works out to less than $20 per install for
over, at retail, a $1000 of software. There are multiple plans, of
course. For families with kids in school, who want an economical
solution, who need products that are universally accepted in both
academic and business environments, it is a great deal. Also, If you
don't renew, the software goes into "reduced functionality mode" in
which you can view and print documents, but you can't edit existing
ones or create new ones. Nothing is erased or hidden.

You seem to enjoy spreading ‘FUD’ here Poly. Leasing software is not
the perfect business plan for all users; however, in many cases, it
fits into their business model perfectly. In some cases, like mine, it
works out as a nice tax deduction, although a small one.

--
Jerry