I've got a major question...

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 27 14:17:37 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-27 01:20, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 16:22:05 -0400 (EDT), doug at safeport.com wrote:
>> The only draw back I have hit in running FreeBSD workstations is wifi support
>> and some video cards. The firm you engage should be knowledgeable in this.
>
> Here is something I'd like to add: USB security tokens. Certain models
> require specific drivers only available for "Windows 10" (see problems
> discussed before) and a buggy equivalent for Linux. No macOS support.
> In case you should require those, experimenting with wine (or a VM with
> a "single-purpose" installation of "Windows") might be worth looking at.
>
>>From my experience, WiFi was never a problem because workstations were
> all networked with cable, and video cards, well, the brand and model
> that supported the BrookTree interface provided by FreeBSD was chosen
> for purchase. Problems solved. ;-)

Choosing Atheros WiFi adapter solved WiFi for my laptop running FreeBSD.
As much as I loved Intel WiFi chips, I started hating them for
proprietary firmware blobs when I switched laptop from Linux to FreeBSD.

Just my $0.02

Valeri

> Yes, of course I know that you cannot always buy something new, and
> instead have to deal with "we must use what we have" problems. That's
> why proper testing is needed _before_ the transition starts.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247