I've got a major question...

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Thu Jun 27 10:37:32 UTC 2019

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 11:03:40 +0200
Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> This is especially true when you need software for a special
> purpose. Maybe I would call them "niche software", but it is
> actually in heavy use, like accounting, payroll, time-work
> management, or ticketing systems.

	Many many years ago the approach to choosing a computer system went
like this:

1: Establish your requirements
2: Find or commission software that best supports your requirements
3: Select a platform that runs the software you selected
4: Iterate round 2 and 3 to optimise cost/benefit

	These days the common approach seems to be:

1: Select platform by default
2: Accept software on offer
3: Adjust requirements and procedures to suit software
4: Bitch when you find yourself locked in

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>