IPv6-only network--is NAT64+DNS64 really this easy now?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Jun 25 15:23:13 UTC 2019

Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com> writes:

> On 2019-06-24 19:33, Ultima wrote:
>> Hello Mel,
>>
>>   While it may be possible to have an IPv6 only environment, I don't
>> think it is really viable. There are simply too many things that don't run
>> on or have very limited support for IPv6 that it makes it very hard
>> to drop IPv4 altogether and until something comes along forcing the
>> move it likely won't happen for at least another decade at the minimum.
>
> Yes, that is why I wrote "Waving a hand at bug-hunting and
> lamentations over the inertia of embedded systems designers".

I'm an embedded system designer, and the system I develop works fine under
IPv6. We say we don't support it, because we don't specifically test it,
but a lot of the time the applications are1 actually running over IPv6
without anybody noticing. The Windows GUI pieces can't configure IPv6
addresses, but we really prefer running with link-local anyway.