Can I recreate my .snap directories ?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 25 14:27:42 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-25 00:12, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 19:34:48 -0700, Michael Sierchio wrote:
>> There will be one per filesystem, provided those filesystems support
>> snapshots.
>>
>> If you see only /.snap, you have one big filesystem. That's okay for toy
>> systems, or laptops, but you really want separate filesystems for /var,
>> /tmp (which may be a tmpfs), and /usr.
>
> Is this still the case?

Yes for me. And in addition to /usr I do prefer to have /usr/local. Also
I have /home, and some place where _users_ web files live mounted as
separate filesystems (with nosuid/sgid and nofollowsymlinks for web
directories). Even though the host is actually a bunch of jails, not
even a single jail...

Just me, humble sysadmin.

Valeri

> Don't get me wrong - I've always been a fan of functional partitioning,
> especially to stop misbehaving processes to mess up the whole system
> ("disk full, can't even write error log") as well as using features
> such as noexec on "untrusted user filesystems". With ZFS of course,
> this is all a lot easier, but with UFS, do people still use functional
> partitioning instead of "putting everything into one big / because
> that's how you do it today"?

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago