Eliminating IPv6 (?)

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Wed Jun 19 15:42:32 UTC 2019

> 18.06.2019 10:10, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>
> > How can I turn off IPv6 entirely without rebuilding the kernel?
>
> You cannot. GENERIC kernel specifically enables IPv6 support and you need to disable it at compile time.
> And if you do, you better rebuild the world too using WITHOUT_INET6=yes in the /etc/src.conf
> or else some utilities compiled with INET6 by default will query kernel
> for IPv6-specific data (like routing entries) and complain that your kernel does not know about it.

I have not seen these issues, can you give a specific example that fails?
A netstat -rn on a v4 only kernel simple reports the v4 table, and iirc a
netstat -rn6 returns a "Protocol not supported error" as should all other
things.

> World built WITHOUT_INET6 has no such rough edges.

I find that actually causes me more issues, as then my
netstat -rn6 returns a hard error due to:

                case '6':
#ifdef INET6
                        af = AF_INET6;
#else
                        errx(1, "IPv6 support is not compiled in");
#endif

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org