Eliminating IPv6 (?)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue Jun 18 08:39:49 UTC 2019

In message <9AF5DF39-9B81-4270-B25C-D089C971E924 at punkt.de>,
"Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen at punkt.de> wrote:

> Am 18.06.2019 um 09:44 schrieb Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>:
>> As I have already learned, the /etc/rc.firewall script also assumes both the
>> presence of, and the desirability of IPv6 support.  And unless one edits that
>> file manually... which I have been effectively forced to do... there is no way
>> to get it to simply NOT create and install multiple IPv6-related ipfw rules,
>> EVEN THOUGH in my particular situation... which is still the most common case...
>> those extra and entirely superfluous IPv6 ipfw filtering rules are serving
>> no earthly purpose whatsoever and are only cluttering up my ipfw rule set,
>> thus pointlessly making it harder for me to grok and maintain them all.
>
>Instead of messing with the system provided file you could
>create a new one with only your own desired rules and then set
>this rc.conf variable:
>
>	firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"

Actually, no, that's not how one is supposed to enable one's own set
of ipfw ules.  To do that, the Handbook (Sec. 30.4.1) says very clearly
that one should do:

    firewall_enable="YES"
    firewall_type="path-to-my-rules-file"

But I'm glad you brought it up.  The funny thing is that even that
doesn't work properly nowadays *or* like it used to in the past.

I did that exact thing when putting together my shiny new 12.0-RELEASE
system recently, as prescribed by the Handbook, just as I have done in
the past on my prior FreeBSD systems.  The result was no longer as
expected.

It seems that somwhere along the line, sometime between the last time
I did a totally fresh install of FreeBSD (which I admit was some years
ago now) and today, *somebody* apparently came to the conclusion that
ordinary end lusers like me could not be fully trusted to supply 100%
of their own ipfw rules, and thus, noadays, EVEN IF the user does
exactly what you suggested, and tries (according to the guidance given
in the Handbook) to supply his/her own set of ipfw rules, nowadays the
/etc/rc.firewall script still gets invoked, and it *insists* on *adding*
some ipfw rules to the set the user supplies in the named file.  And to
add insult to injury, some of those additional "whether you like it or
not" ipfw rules specifically involve IPv6, which, as I have already said,
I don't want, dont need, and which are just a pointless annoyance.

Check it out for yourself if you don't believe me.

(I have been debating with myself as to whether or not I should file
a formal PR on this.  I guess that I will.  It is incredible but
apparently true that even for those folks who want to write their
own ipfw rule sets, 100%, *somebody* decided the we should not be
allowed to do that 100% anymore.  Apparently, I am not to be trusted
to perform this task, for my own systems, all on my own anymore.)

>As for the rest of your request, yes, I find it unreasonably in 2019 but
>let's not get into a fight about that. IPv6 is here to stay. If you boot any
>Mac or Windows 10 desktop, IPv6 will be active and even necessary for
>service autodiscovery and similar things to work.

If true, I call that sloppy, careless, and lazy bad design.

And that is being generous on my part.

What services must be autodiscovered via IPv6 that could not be just
as easily autodiscovered via IPv4 RFC1918 addresses... as had been
done for at least a couple of decades already?  (I have a printer
right here next to me that has been successfully autodiscovered by
Windows, by Linux, and by FreeBSD, all over an IPv4-only network.)

I well and truly unxderstand that various entities have a clear financial
interest in effectively forcing me... and hundreds of millions of others...
to purchase all new equipmwent, but if what you said it true then that
really takes the cake, because there is no compelling reason for it other
than the commercial interests of various equipment vendors.

There are two ways to induce people to do things that they otherwise
would not do... carrots and sticks.  For me, IPv6 right now is all
sticks and no carrots.  If I want to be abused, mistreated and forced
to do things that I don't much feel like doing... well... I already
have relatives for that.

Regards,
rfg