Lenovo Thinkpad E590T and AMD Radeon RX 550X (Intel UHD Graphics 620)

Trond Endrestøl trond.endrestol at ximalas.info
Fri Jun 14 09:17:58 UTC 2019

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 10:19+0200, Matthias Oestreicher wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 14.06.2019, 09:34 +0200 schrieb Trond Endrestøl:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm contemplating buying a Lenovo Thinkpad E590T. I will be
> > dual-booting Windows 10 and FreeBSD stable/12.
>
> Why stable?

I'm running stable on my work laptop. Of course, I could be at the
forefront and run current. Or should I stick to -RELEASE?

> > I'm considering adding 16 GiB of memory for a total of 32 GiB, and
> > swap the 512 GB NVMe SSD in favour of a 1 TB NVMe SSD.
> >
> > Is this laptop a wise choice?
>
> I'd advice against using a laptop for storage.

Well, I don't plan on storing anything I can't afford to lose. I'm
doubling the storage capacity to have enough space for both operating
systems, some software, my Dropbox account, working copies of base and
ports, and obj, distfiles, packages, etc.

> > The laptop has both AMD Radeon RX 550X and Intel UHD Graphics 620. I
> > didn't find anything conclusive on https://www.x.org/wiki/radeon/.
> > Maybe I'm simply blind.
>
> Switchable graphics are not supported in FreeBSD. You will hopefully be
> able to disable one of the graphic adapters in the laptop's BIOS(UEFI),
> but if I where you, I would rather grab a model with Intel integrated
> graphics only. Do you want to game on Windows?

Yeah, that's part of my reasons for choosing this laptop. In addition
I want a 15.6 inch display and a numerical keyboard. The graphics
subsystem should be powerful enough to run Farming Simulator 19,
Supreme Commander, Unreal Tournament 3, and a handful of astronomy
related software, with good performance.

> > Is the Radeon RX 550X GPU supported by X.org and a particular driver?
>
> The kms drivers graphics/drm-kmod has at least modules for Polaris 12, thats
> what the 550x is build upon according to Wikipedia. Looks good.
>
> % ls /boot/modules | grep -i polaris12
> amdgpu_polaris12_ce_2_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_ce_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_k_mc_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_k_smc_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_mc_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_me_2_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_me_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_mec_2_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_mec_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_mec2_2_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_mec2_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_pfp_2_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_pfp_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_rlc_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_sdma_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_sdma1_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_smc_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_uvd_bin.ko
> amdgpu_polaris12_vce_bin.ko
>
> Though, I don't follow the development and the there may exist issues.
> Anyway, most Polaris based graphics cards work very well as far as I know,
> but I've seen people complain about issues. Last thing I seen on the forums
> was someone had a problem that the screen remained black. That was Polaris 8
> on a Ryzen processor, which isn't supported as well as the higher end models
> as far as my knowledge goes.
>
> > Does the presence of Intel UHD Graphics 620 cause any known issues?
>
> Well supported by graphics/drm-kmod
>
> > Any other thoughts on Lenovo Thinkpad E590T?
>
> I havn't had any recent Thinkpad models myself, but I would always prefer a
> used T-series over a E-series. Even though the E-series should be quite fine
> as well compared to all other laptops series from Lenovo which I wouldn't
> even touch with pliers.

> You will most likely have to swap the wireless device.

Right, the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9260 should be replaced by a
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265, or maybe something else. Any
recommendations?

Thank you for your input.

--
Trond.