Editing LSCOLORS

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Thu Jun 13 10:34:59 UTC 2019

On Wed 2019-06-05 14:47:13 UTC+1000, andrew clarke (mail at ozzmosis.com) wrote:

> On Tue 2019-06-04 11:07:00 UTC+0300, Amit Yaron (amit at phpandmore.net) wrote:
>
> > Do you know of a nice way to edit the environment variable LSCOLORS in
> > FreeBSD 12.0?
> > I don't want the name of a directory printed in blue on the dark background
> > of my terminal.
>
> There's a handy online LSCOLORS generator by Geoff Greer that I discovered a
> few weeks ago:
>
> https://geoff.greer.fm/lscolors/
>
> FreeBSD's ls is a bit limited, but GNU ls can be installed with the
> sysutils/coreutils port.

Quick update:

I've since discovered exa, an alternative to ls.

"exa is an improved file lister with more features and better defaults. It
uses colours to distinguish file types and metadata. It knows about
symlinks, extended attributes, and Git. And it’s small, fast, and just one
single binary."

https://the.exa.website/

It's at sysutils/exa in the FreeBSD ports tree.