Booting from USB

Matthias Oestreicher matthias at smormegpa.no
Sun Jun 9 09:18:07 UTC 2019

I assume your portable SSD is connected to USB and you most probably use a USB pen
drive to install as well.

What often happens is, that your installation pen drive is /dev/da0 while your portable
SSD is /dev/da1 during install. So the installer will add an entry to /etc/fstab that
/dev/da1 is where the system should boot from in the future.
Now you reboot and remove your pendrive. With the pendrive gone, your SSD will now be
/dev/da0, but it tries to boot your newly installed system from /dev/da1..., since
that's what in /etc/fstab.

You could either drop to the shell after install is finished and fix the entry in
/etc/fstab before you reboot and exit the installer, or...
Reboot the machine, and when loading fails, at the loader prompt tell the loader
something like

> UFS:/dev/da0p2
(may be da0p3, depends on what the installer did. in FreeBSD one can type "?" to list
devices. I've never used Trident)

Then when the system is up, fix /etc/fstab entry from e.g. /dev/da1p2 to /dev/da0p2