ntpd configutration -- a small suggestion from the peanut gallery

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Fri Jun 7 23:59:21 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-07 17:47, Karl Denninger wrote:

> On 6/7/2019 10:36 AM, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Jun 2019 10:57:01 +0200
>> Dave Cottlehuber wrote:

>>> It is in CURRENT[1] & would be worth MFC although possibly too late
>>> for 11.3R.
>> That affects the istaller, but it's still off in defaults/rc.conf.

The installer obviously creates the initial /etc/rc.conf, and AFAIU, the
change referenced earlier in the thread provides an option for the
installer to add 'ntpdate_enable="YES"' (*not* 'ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"')
to that rc.conf. Seems 100% good to me. The default for both parameters
remains "NO" in defaults/rc.conf AFAIK, which is as it should be IMHO -
unconditionally subjecting all users to inverted default values in
defaults/rc.conf without an *extremely* strong motivation is not the
FreeBSD way, I think.

> Losing a way to synchronously (with a reasonable timeout) set the time on boot is IMHO a nasty reversion and will bite people hard. There are plenty of things that react VERY poorly to the time going
> backward; Dovecot is one of the more-popular ones (it EXITS if that happens!) so this sort of change IMHO needs careful consideration or a cold reboot of a server is likely to lead to services that do
> not come back up.

While I agree 100% with what you say here, I don't understand what you are
referring to - I am not aware of anyone suggesting or any change amounting
to "Losing a way ...".

--Per