ssh timeout question

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Sun Jun 2 22:18:57 UTC 2019

On Fri, 31 May 2019, John Johnstone wrote:

> On 5/28/19 3:00 PM, @lbutlr wrote:
>> On 28 May 2019, at 05:37, John Johnstone
>> <jjohnstone.nospamfreebsd at tridentusa.com> wrote:
>>> I also now have a Verizon G1100.  I still have my .ssh/config file with
>>> ServerAliveInterval set to 30 and I'm able to maintain ssh sessions for
>>> many hours as long as the laptop is not set to sleep.
>>
>> It's not a bad idea to at least test this, but I do not have ~/.ssh/config
>> at all and my Mac maintains a ssh connection for weeks at a time.
>> Basically, unless I reboot my FreeBSD server or reboot my Mac, the
>> connection stays up.
>
> I put the ServerAliveInterval in place a long time ago and didn't test the
> need for it after that.  I removed it and yes, connections are staying up
> without it.  Packet monitoring shows TCP Keep-Alives are being sent every 2
> hours.

It's hard to talk about this without naming names. With Verizon and a router
model. For me no connection is timed out using model Fios-G1100 unless the
connection is running pine. In this case the connect is timed out, usually
within 3 hours. I have not tried all the remedies suggested here as the work
demand >> irritant level. I will eventually do this and report back.