console shows ààààààààà on startup soon after starting sshd & cron

Dave Cottlehuber dch at skunkwerks.at
Fri Jul 26 13:07:05 UTC 2019

Anybody seen this before? Over ipmi, soon after ssh and other daemons start, with
normal text output, text is garbled:

Mounting late filesystems:.
Starting sendmail_submit.
Configuring vt: blanktime.
Performing sanity check on sshd configuration.
Starting sshd.
Starting cron.
Starting backgroàààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààààà

is displayed on the console.

Immediately after shutting the system down, normal text resumes. I'm guessing it
is some misconfiguration of some lconsole or terminal settings, but I have no idea
what that might be?

A+
Dave