Best hardware for a replacement desktop?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue Jul 23 18:44:42 UTC 2019

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 13:18:48 -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>Since there is only a $15 (at most) between 450/600 W (roughly the
>same price range) and 850 W I mightiest well do overkill

Regarding the PSU I'm in favour of overkill, too, if fundable. I'm
surprised about the minimal price differences. I would take a look at
the Ampere available on the secondary side.

While I disagree with Paul Pathiakis regarding the "overkill", he has
good a good point: "efficiency"

Consumption on the primary side doesn't say much about what you get on
the secondary side.

Off-topic:

For audio gear I'm still in favour of ring core transformer or even
normal transformer baser power supplies. However, slowly but surely
switched-mode power supplies gain the upper hand, even in my audio home
studio. To be honest, I don't really suffer from the meassurable
issues caused by switched-mode power supplies, they don't affect audio
productions, but actually in the last years I needed to repair more
switched-mode power supplies, than taken together all repairs on my
audio gear + the audio and video gear when working as an engineer, I had
to do within the last decades.