Best hardware for a replacement desktop?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue Jul 23 15:31:32 UTC 2019

For a desktop PC I care most about the TDP value of the CPU/GPU, than
about any other CPU/GPU value.

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 16:07:22 -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>4. I use it as a replacement for my TV/cable (download/stream shows)

Is hardware video acceleration a domain of FreeBSD apps?

In the recent days I experimented for the very first time with hardware
video acceleration on my Linux machine, just to notice that it works
with mpv from command line, but actually _no_ web browser does support
it.

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 11:27:03 +0000 (UTC), Paul Pathiakis wrote:
>However, even when you settle on graphics and storage media, check the
>power consumption.  I've been going lower and lower on my PSUs.  I'm
>down to using 550-650W now and will, in time, probably, go lower but
>with a higher efficiency something in the 80-Gold or higher. Also, you
>don't need to buy a PSU with 800W.  It's just overkill.  Calculate
>(there's a lot of online calculators) how much your machine will
>draw.  Take that and add 33%.  Otherwise, you're spending extra money
>for nothing.

I'm using a 600 W PSU for a machine that is probably less power
consuming, than the hardware of the OP's links might consume, let alone
that the power consumption is no reasonable value for the provided
Ampere at the other side. I don't know if it's the mobo, the OS (Linux)
or the PSU, while USB3 bus power is fine, USB2 bus power is a PITA. I
need to use very short cables and sometimes even an active hub. I
suspect the PSU. The reason that I didn't bought a PSU able to provide
more Ampere was a question of money. I simply couldn't pay for another
PSU.

I would be careful when calculating real power consumption. What makes
you think that adding 33% is a good value?

The PSU does consume power on demand, it's better to have headroom.

Power saving is done by avoiding oversized CPUs etc., resp. for
"TV/cable (download/stream shows)" probably via hardware video
acceleration, if available.