Best hardware for a replacement desktop?

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 19:26:27 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 3:01 PM Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Monday, July 22, 2019, 2:01:25 PM EDT, Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com>
> wrote:
>

> Aryeh Friedman writes:
>
> >  > You need an uninterruptible power supply (UPS):
> >  >
> >  > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply
> >
> >  Already on my shopping list but half the problem is the machine is
> >  a name HP and looking at the specs I have likely put more demand on
> >  the power supply then I can supply if there any drop in voltage.
>
>     I'd be interested to hear how you do this ... but assuming it's
> true your solution has two parts:
>
>     1) the UPS to deal with the "power hiccups".  Before you buy,
> check ports/sysutils to see what models are covered by available
> software.
>     2) a more vigorous internal power supply.  I have no idea if it's
> even possible to upgrade HP products short of having HP do it (and
> maybe not even then).
>

>             Respectfully,
>

>                 Robert Huff
>

> ## Adding to this....
>
> If this is more than just a low end server, you may want to buy a UPS with
> a pure sine wave vs a simulated sine wave.  They are  a little more
> expensive, but tend to be better in controlling spikes/dirty power.
>
> As for a new desktop, if you're reasonably inclined, build your own.  At
> this point in time, steer clear of Intel and look at AMD's products. Their
> new Ryzen 3000 series kicks butt and is about 50-75% of the cost.  Go with
> an X570 motherboard (it has PCIe 4.0) and an AM4 socket. The compatibility
> with the AM4 socket looks to be good for about 3-4 years vs intel's "new
> cpu new socket -> new motherboard" mentality.  Depending on your graphics
> needs either a separate card that can be upgraded or go with the new AMD
> Ryzen/Navi APUs with the graphics in the chip... (low end but good for word
> processing, etc NOT gaming - separate card if you game).  With the new AM4
> socket the APUs are an inexpensive alternative to buying separate graphics
> and CPU and when you go beyond the abilities on either just buy the latest
> APU.
>
> Typically, the new Ryzen chips also consume about 1/3 less power too.
>
> So, for about $500 you can buy a SERIOUS powered machine with an upgrade
> path versus being locked into a canned vendor like Dell or HP.

Here is what I have in mind so far (note I *REFUSE* to buy mail
order/online so this is what is in my local MicroCenter):

CPU (Ryzen 3600 $200.00 65 watts w/ fan):
https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=4294966995+4294819840+4294810797+4294819827+4294818783+4294815097&myStore=true

Motherboard (x570 AMD 4 ATX $170):
https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=4294966996+4294810816+4294818900+4294818892+4294810798+4294817766+4294818045+4294818894+4294810687+4294815404+4294818877+4294815402+39&myStore=true

Power supply (850 watt $130 ATX):
https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=4294966654+4294818900+795+4294817377+780+4294817027&myStore=true

Case (minitower ATX $75):
https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=4294964318+4294821211+4294821002+4294811319+749+4294821195+4294821206+4294821207&myStore=true