What does it mean to use ports?

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sun Jul 21 18:33:02 UTC 2019

El día domingo, julio 21, 2019 a las 11:09:48a. m. -0700, George Hartzell escribió:

> hw writes:
>  > Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> writes:
>  > [...]
>  > The most time consuming part would be to learn and to decide about all
>  > the options of all the packages to compile.  Doing that for just one
>  > package like emacs might take weeks because there are so many
>  > dependencies. [...]
>  >
>  > At some point in the process, it might not work out at all because I
>  > picked options in contradiction to dependencies.  Setting up the tools
>  > might be the smallest problem.
>
> All of that is true, but awfully pessimistic.  Often things just work.
> Other times you have to run down one or two chains of x begets y
> begets z.
>
> I think that learning to build your own things is a good exercise,
> even if you switch back to pre-built packages.

I compile my own set of the ports I'm used to use with poudriere(8).
Based on a list of some 400 ports the result is some 2000 packages ready
to install. Very seldom, I tweak the options of some port (for example
to add features to mail/mutt, or to add features to x11/xterm) and there are
never conflicts among of the options.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
May, 9: Спаси́бо освободители! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!