Cannot build generic kernel

David Azarewicz david at 88watts.net
Thu Jul 18 14:31:43 UTC 2019

I downloaded and installed FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img

I checked out base/stable/12 r350009 using svnlite

I followed the directions on https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
for building the kernel.

I get an error:
  make[2]: "/usr/src/sys/conf/kern.pre.mk" line 127: amd64/arm64/i386 kernel requires linker
ifunc support

both
  make buildkernel
and
  make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
fail exactly the same way.

Today I updated to r350112 and the problem persists.

So I have a fresh unmodified install of FreeBSD 12.0 RELEASE, I have a fresh unmodified
checkout of FreeBSD 12 stable, I followed the directions for building the standard, default,
generic kernel and it fails. I tried searching for a solution to this problem and could not find a
solution. How can I fix this problem?

Thanks,
David

-----