p0f, bpf, and jail

Jeff Anton antonfb at hesiod.org
Fri Jul 12 16:51:22 UTC 2019

This looks like what I dealt with trying to get dhcpd running in a
jail.  It needs raw sockets and bpf.  Jails don't get those by default.

The devices that are in a jail is setup from /etc/default/devfs.rules
and you see there ruleset number 4 for jails.

I needed a special devfs ruleset for my jail.  So I created
/etc/devfs.rules with the following contents:

[nsjailrules=5]
add include $devfsrules_hide_all
add include $devfsrules_unhide_basic
add include $devfsrules_unhide_login
add path 'bpf*' unhide

Then in my jail.conf for this jail I added:

         allow.raw_sockets;
         devfs_ruleset = 5;

This allowed dhcpd to work in the jail!  Note that this opens a jail up
to doing lots of bad stuff potentially, but it more about giving the
minimum needed permissions to get dhcpd running.  It still far more
restricted than running dhcpd outside of a jail.

Jeff Anton

Hello, I'm using FreeBSD 12 on amd64 hardware. p0f is passive os
fingerprinting, what I'm wanting to do is determine by passively
analyzing a connecting machines tcp stack what kind of machine it is,
and based on that result add in an email header to the message. So, for
example if someone connects to my system by means of an xp laptop and
tries to send email, I'll know by that email header the type of
connecting machine. Later down the antispam chain the antispam software
can take an action most likely a silent drop, based on that header.