Printer/usb problems

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jul 9 18:39:53 UTC 2019

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 14:47:32 +0200, d7o9idh8jlaj at opayq.com wrote:
> On 7/9/19 12:51 PM, Polytropon [Masked] wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 03:56:45 +0200, d7o9idh8jlaj at opayq.com wrote:
> >> Hello list!
> >>
> >> 10.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.4-RELEASE #0 r324094: Fri Sep 29 01:45:44 UTC
> >> 2017     root at releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
> >>
> >> Trying to get my printer working again, but it won't.
> >>
> >> Error is: lpd[596]: /dev/unlpt0: No such file or directory.
> >> Same error with /dev/ulpt0
> >>
> >> So I'm a bit stuck.
> >
> > So back to the basics.
> >
> > When you attach the printer, what message is added to the "dmesg"
> > output? Is the printer recognized at all (ugen)? This should be
> > the first step in finding out why no u(n)lpt device is created.
>
> No messages. Mouse and keyboard is recognized they are also USB.

This indicates a non-OS problem. _Every_ USB device should cause
a maesage when it is attached, even if it's just a boring message
of the kind "ugen1.1: <vendor 0x1234 product 0x5678> at usbus1".
Check the USB cable. Try other USB ports. Cross-check ports with
the mouse or the keyboard. I suggest doing this when the system
is up and running, so you'll find it easier to spot the new
messages at the end of "dmesg" output, your console, your
X console, or the /var/log/messages file (whatever you use to
get the messages).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany