RSYNC changes file name

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jan 29 21:21:43 UTC 2019

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 16:13:46 -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:

> On Tue, January 29, 2019 15:43, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 15:28:50 -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
> >> Gpart reports the file system is type 12 which I believe is some
> >> variant of FAT.  MS Windows does not permit file names ending in
> >> either a dot or a space.  The filesystem silently truncates the
> >> offending character.
> >
> > Ha, just as I thought. :-)
> >
> > If you're going to use the target medium for FreeBSD
> > only (i. e., you won't access it from "Windows"), why
> > not initialize it with UFS? There are even tunefs
> > options that can help optimizing access to specific
> > media, like USB sticks or SD cards. In fact, there
> > even isn't a need for a partition table, if you for
> > example do "newfs /dev/da0" (where da0 corresponds
> > to the medium in question), and then you can use it
> > as "mount -t ufs /dev/da0 /mnt" without problems.
> > Filenames will then correctly be stored.
> >
> > Suggestion: For backing up FreeBSD stuff, keep using
> > FreeBSD stuff. :-)
> >

> The resulting archives must be readable on a windows OS.  It is a
> portable backup which may have to be used in situations where any form
> of *nix will not be available to me.

You say, "the archives", but it seems you're copying
bare files. A convenient to deal with this problem is
to "encapsulate" the whole thing in a "| tar" pipe.
There are versions of the tar program available even
for "Windows". Inside a tar archive, a file "12345."
can be stored, while the archive itself can have a
name that does not violate FAT rules.

Of course, this introduces another problem: Can you
make sure that the system you'll be using will be
able to use tar? It's not for the compression (which
you _could_ use), just for the "encapsulation".
But if you just need something to _store_ the file,
not to _process_ it, it could be an option for you.
I don't know about the specific scenarios you're
preparing for, but as you talked about IMAP data
in maildir format, I can imagine that you just could
transfer a tar file from the "Windows" system to the
actual IMAP server (for data restore), extract it
_there_ - which will surely be some kind of UNIX
system (FreeBSD, any BSD, Linux), and every UNIX
system has a tar implementation.

Just a thought.

not allow the filenames to stay the same.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany