Toolchain broken on -CURRENT

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 29 16:38:39 UTC 2019

On 29/01/2019 16:06, DHCP Server wrote:
> Please can I somehow to repair my -CURRENT installation? What happens:
> I have a machine which I use to check current state of -current revision as a desktop.
> It has a simple X11 desktop and I periodically update /usr/src with svnlite update and
> rebuild world as in instruction.
>
> At some moment (most likely I'm something do wrong), I have broken toolchain and
> world does not compile anymore. With ld.lld segfault. How can I repaire my system
> without clean installation?

When you build world, you first spend a lot of time building a new
toolchain using your systems' installed toolchain.  This new toolchain
is what appears to be broken in the output you show.

So, you may well have a perfectly good toolchain installed, but a source
tree that is defective -- mistakes do happen, and it can break building
the world.

In this case, you can do the following to give yourself the best chance
of building world successfully again:

    * delete everything under /usr/obj

    * check out the most recent sources using git or svn or svnlite or
      whatever you prefer

    * restart the build

Check the output from your buildworld and buildkernel for any errors and
don't install unless the compile was error free.

Consider whether 13-CURRENT is the right version for you to run.  It is
a development version and is not guaranteed to run correctly (or at
all).  You're expected to be able to cope with such problems when you
run it.  You will find -STABLE or -RELEASE a smoother ride and more
performant to boot, as those code branches have certain performance
impacting debugging code turned off.

	Cheers,

	Matthew