gpart volume names in /dev?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Jan 28 03:15:01 UTC 2019

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 19:48:02 -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:
>Once upon a time on a 10.3 system I had entries in /dev corresponding
>to gpart labels.  e.g. ada1p2 was listed as hdd-1TB-root.  I was then
>able to use those names in fstab, which was handy because I think fstab
>would still work even if the drives were connected differently.
>
>How does one get gpart labels to show up in /dev?
>Can I simply list the label as /dev/hdd-1TB-root (in the above example)
>in fstab and it will happen automagically?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gary

Google:

freebsd fstab label

First hit:

18.7. Labeling Disk Devices - FreeBSD
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/geom-glabel.html

A better solution is to use glabel to label the disk devices and use
the labels in /etc/fstab . Because glabel stores the label in the last
sector of a given provider, ...