what is libc?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue Jan 15 12:42:19 UTC 2019

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:33:12 GMT
iam at sdf.org wrote:

> also, if suppose the userland were to be written in say "rust",
> would it theoretically be possible to write libc in "rust", and
> then would it have to be called "librust"?

	Just to extend Polytropon's excellent response a little. The lowest
level interface to the system in any kind of Unix is the kernel interface.
It is possible to create a higher level interface analogous but not
necessarily compatible in any way with libc in any language which is
capable of implementing the kernel interface. I don't know of any examples
though, it is far easier and more portable to sit on top of the documented
and system independent standards implemented in libc than to sit directly
on top of the kernel interface which is unique to each implementation in at
least some aspects.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>