OPNsense

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Jan 11 21:21:28 UTC 2019

The weekend I am experimenting with an OPNsense firewall/router at one
of our sites.  I have been having mixed success with testing so far
and decided to take the whole network down while the user traffic is
negligible.  Since it is only a matter of a few plugs if things go
terribly wrong then I will just cut the test machine out and restore
the normal cabling configuration.

However,  I have a few reservations about the OPNsense appliance even
before I test it.  Specifically the apparent lack of any way to
black-hole repetitive logon attempts to various exposed services.

Does anyone here employ OPNsense as their corporate firewall?  What
are the best and worst features of the product?  Are there ways to
configure OPNsense to block repetitive initiations of new connections?

Canada  L8E 3C3