What smartctl command to use to verify if disk is okay or failing ?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Mon Jan 7 13:59:31 UTC 2019

On 1/6/2019 6:07 PM, Manish Jain wrote:
> If anyone could tell me the right command to go through a good test
> (preferably with a log file generated), it would be much appreciated.

In addition to what others have already said, in theory keep an eye on
the Wear_Leveling_Count  that its not close to zero. Also, some AHCI
errors can be generated due to a controller issue or cable issue.  Try
smartctl -x on your drive as it sometimes gives more info.  If the disk
has not logged any smart errors yet you see it in dmesg, it might not be
the disk at issue, or at least the disk doesnt think so.

    ---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400 x203
Sentex Communications, mike at sentex.net