What smartctl command to use to verify if disk is okay or failing ?

Manish Jain jude.obscure at yandex.com
Sun Jan 6 23:08:42 UTC 2019

Hi,

Yesterday I saw an AHCI/CAM error on my SATA SSD on the console, and I
am a bit worried whether the disk (ada0) is failing.

I installed smartmontools and enabled smartd in rc.conf. But I am
unable to figure out the command to utilise for reliably testing the
state of /dev/ada0 (Samsung EVO 850; SMART enabled).

If anyone could tell me the right command to go through a good test
(preferably with a log file generated), it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Manish Jain