Recover failed SD card

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Tue Feb 26 09:40:38 UTC 2019

On 2/24/19 3:34 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> With all statements like that I would really like to hear at least the
> following about failed devices:
>
> 1. brand and model of device that failed on you
>
> 2. the source (vendor) you got the device from

The card which lead to this tread should be a Transcend: I'm not 100%
sure, because "Transcend" is only written on the micro-SD to SD adapter,
not on the micro-SD itself.
I don't know where my customer bought it, nor how long it took to fail
and if it initially hinted about what was going to happen.
I think it was only used in a camera.

Speaking for myself: I had a Kingston (non micro-)SD, used for music in
my car.
Bought in 2010 from CDC (a now defunct Italian reseller), it failed in
2013: the car started skipping some songs; months later it started
skipping whole albums.
I guess I could have recovered all data (since failures were not
systematic), but I had another copy, so didn't even try.
When I tried reformatting it it gave SCSI errors.
In Jan 2014, Kingston promptly replaced it and the new one has been
working fine since.

  bye
	av.