Recover failed SD card

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Feb 24 19:10:22 UTC 2019

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 08:10:55 -0700, JD wrote:
> There is a free utility called testdisk.
> I used it to recover files from a dead drive that would not mount
> and would not re-format.
> I recovered about 200+GB of important files.

I've been using testdisk was well, but in this specific case,
it wouldn't help. All those tools rely on the OS performing
the (block) I/O operations, and if the device says "end of
medium", they stop and never reach the _actual_ data which
might or might not (!) still be there somewhere in the
memory chip, guarded by the card's controller.

There are even more sophisticated recovery tools (refer to
my "big important list of recovery tools" posted occassionally
on this list), but I fear none of them would be any help here.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany