USB hub does not reconnect in XFCE4; `usbconfig` freezes

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 10:12:36 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I am attempting to sort out an issue similar to:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/weird-xhci-crash-freeze-after-resume-from-suspend.68277/

... that I have now noticed only applies when logged into a GUI (in
this case XFCE4) - console and slim reconnect fine.

As per the paste (link below to avoid cluttering this thread) while in
XFCE4, when I turn off my USB hub (as in my main monitor), a few
devices disconnect (normal behaviour and observed in other modes).
When power is restored, the USB devices do not come back online, and I
have found that the `usbconfig` command freezes when executed by this
point.

https://pastebin.com/9vewp8g4

My monitor hub is on a USB2 port, so cannot say it's an XHCI issue.  I
am curious if the problem has to do with my default mic being the
webcam (which is built into the hub; I cannot move it to a dedicated
port to test) and losing power to the mic creates a hopeless situation
starting with the mixer.  If so, is there some script-fu to change the
default mic based on the presence of the webcam?  Other possibilities?

Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel