kernel: drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the graphics/drm-legacy-kmod pkg

Kurt Hackenberg kh at panix.com
Mon Dec 30 21:07:36 UTC 2019

On 2019-12-30 05:49, Per Hedeland wrote:

> The message is from the in-kernel drm version, not the one installed
> by the package...
Right.

And there's another complication: the release 12 package cannot be
installed on a 12.1 system. Instead, you must compile that port, and use
the port mechanism to install the compiled version. This is because some
internal kernel interface changed between 12.0 and 12.1. I think there's
a version number, so the 12.1 kernel detects and refuses to load the
package, which was compiled for 12.0. (Or maybe loads it but refuses to
run it.) That refusal may be why the obsolete DRM code included in the
kernel runs, and puts out the "abandonware" message.

This is documented in this DRM bug report:
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/183

If you think this is kind of a mess, then I agree with you. The problem
is that these kernel modules are distributed as ports/packages, rather
than with the kernel. That's policy, because the people doing it decided
that the DRM stuff changes too fast for the kernel release schedule to
keep up with it. That is not expected to change.