Program order in crontab

HiMyNameIsIlNano kappei84 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 22:10:17 UTC 2019

Il dom 29 dic 2019, 22:03 Gerard E. Seibert <jerry at seibercom.net> ha
scritto:

> In a standard 'crontab', if I have three programs as show below, do they
> run in order as listed or all at one time, or something else? Does each
> program finish before the next one starts?
>
> */5     *   *   *  *   /usr/home/gerard/Scripts/Program1.sh
> */5     *   *   *  *   /usr/home/gerard/Scripts/Program2.sh
> */5     *   *   *  *   /usr/home/gerard/Scripts/Program3.sh
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Jerry

Hi,

from what I gather from this thread
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-July/011538.html the
order is bottom up, but I would not bet on that. If you need to ensure that
your scripts are run in a given order I would write a wrapper script to
orchestrate the tasks and avoid that your logic breaks in case the
underlying cron implementation changes.