Upgraded Packages And Ports, Can't Shutdown From Mate Menu Bar

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 25 19:12:45 UTC 2019

> On Dec 25, 2019, at 1:07 PM, B J <va6bmj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just upgraded all the packages and ports on one of my machines.  It still
> runs 12.0 under Mate.  The only glitch was when the package upgrade halted
> due to, apparently, an attempt to install something from two different
> sources in the same place.
>
> I restarted the package upgrade and it continued from where it left off,
> with no mention of the aforementioned conflict.
>
> My question is how I can fix it so that I can shut down my machine using
> the Mate menu bar.  I can shut it down from Terminal, using:
>
> shutdown -h now
>
> I don't recall seeing anything about this on the mailing list.
>
> Any ideas?  Suggestions?  Thank you.

I would go through the whole routine:

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install

[ reboot where necessary]

pkg update
pkg autoremove
pkg upgrade -f

The last will reinstall all packages, which may fix the thing. Last but one may clean-up what you may not need anymore.

Good luck!

Valeri

> B. M. Jatzeck

Valeri Galtsev