zfs volume mode and mounting

mike tancsa mike at sentex.net
Mon Dec 23 14:36:29 UTC 2019

If I create a volume that I want to make part of a isci target

zfs create -V 10G zroot-nfs2/nano-swap

It gets created and seen no problem

0(nfs2)# ls -l /dev/zvol/zroot-nfs2/nano-swap
crw-r-----  1 root  operator  - 0x10e Dec 23 09:08
/dev/zvol/zroot-nfs2/nano-swap
0(nfs2)#

However, if I change the dev mode to  none

zfs set volmode=none zroot-nfs2/nano-swap

and then reboot the box, post reboot I do a

zfs set volmode=dev zroot-nfs2/nano-swap

the volume is still not seen in /dev/zvol/zroot-nfs2

Is there something I can to do in order for it to show up in
/dev/zvol/... without having to do a reboot ? Cant really do an
export/import either while the server is live.

    ---Mike