FreeBSD updating experience

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Fri Dec 20 16:54:28 UTC 2019

Hi,

FreeBSD has been my desktop since 1998-ish. Until a few years ago, I always
installed via ports and tailored some port installs with make config. Now I
use poudriere to build ports on another machine, and download packages from
there. It's still building via ports, just on another machine.

In all that time, I've only ever used the repos to get a basic system up and
running, and not depend on them for updating. Too many variables for a
one-size-fits-all system to get right in my opinion. One of my fears is system
or port settings getting overwritten when updating. So, beforehand I'd set the
system up with portmaster to maintain the ports. Nowadays, I make a poudriere
instance on the build server and point pkg on the client to there.

From your writing, it seems that some user or system settings got clobbered.
If a config file has been modified though, IMO it shouldn't get overwritten
without user intervention. My config files for ports very rarely get clobbered.
It has happened in the past though, but thats the fault of the port and not
FreeBSD itself isn't it?

--
J.