Why does poudriere insist on rebuilding the same packages over and over

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Dec 15 19:25:32 UTC 2019

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 14:37:39 +0000, Matthew Seaman commented:
>On 15/12/2019 12:57, Gerard E. Seibert wrote:
>> This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. Why does
>> 'poudriere' insist on rebuild the same package, over and over, when
>> there has been no change.
>>
>> EXAMPLE:
>>
>> This morning I decided to install /usr/ports/x11/xscreensaver.
>> Poudriere insisted on rebuilding hundreds of ports,
>> including "ports-mgmt/pkg", even though they had not changed. I had
>> just updated the ports tree with poudriere and updated all of the
>> files on my system. There was no reason to rebuild all of the
>> existing files. It seems that the "ports-mgmt/pkg" file is rebuild
>> every time poudriere runs.
>>
>> Is there a configuration setting to stop? It wastes a lot of time and
>> resources to continually rebuild everything.
>>
>> NOTE:
>>
>> I made on change on an installed port the other day, and poudriere
>> insisted on rebuild 1039 ports. That is just crazy.
>
>That's not normal.  poudriere shouldn't need to rebuild as much as that
>-- and anything it does rebuild it will print out the reason why.  In
>particular, seeing pkg(8) continually being rebuilt without good reason
>is a sign of something gone awry.
>
>Off-hand I can think of three reasons off hand why poudriere might want
>to rebuild /every/ package:
>
>   1) You updated the poudriere jail -- that is, you ran
>
>        poudriere jail -j yourjail -u
>
>      or similar, so that you updated the OS within your jail.
> poudriere will rebuild all packages when the underlying jail gets
> updated. Just updating a ports tree wouldn't have this effect.
>
>      In many cases, you don't need to always apply every available
>      update to your poudriere jails straight away.  poudriere jails
> are relatively inexposed to attack, and typically the packages you
>      build will not be affected at all by any vulerabilities in
>      software within the build jail.  Just keep your host system
>      scrupulously up to date and you'll be fine.
>
>      The biggest exception to this rule are packages that install
>      statically linked binaries on occasions where there is a
>      vulnerability in one of the system libraries.  Thankfully that
>      combination is pretty rare.
>
>   2) You're giving 'poudriere bulk' the '-c' flag, which says to clean
>      and rebuild everything.  This is just poudriere doing what you
>      tell it to.
>
>   3) Your system clock is doing weird things, and poudriere is getting
>      confused because it can't tell what time it is.
>

>	Cheers,
>
>	Matthew

I created a script file to handle the formating of the poudriere
command line. Regarding # 2, I found I did have a "-c" in the line. I am
not sure why I put it there. I removed it. Would a "-C" make any
difference? In any case, I will try it out the next time the ports tree
is updated or I need to install a new file.

Thanks for your assistance.

--
Jerry