Root volume renumbered unexpectedly, no longer boots

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Fri Dec 13 21:57:41 UTC 2019

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 at 16:39, Morgan Wesström <
freebsd-database at pp.dyndns.biz> wrote:

> On 2019-12-13 21:57, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
> > There is a new wrinkle... since booting from a USB stick so that I could
> > get into the box and double-check some things, and confirm the location
> of
> > the root volume, the BIOS no longer seems to see da4 as a potential boot
> > volume.
>
> First thing I would check is the SATA controller mode in BIOS and make
> sure it didn't switch from AHCI to IDE/Legacy/RAID (or whatever you used
> to run it as). This assuming the SSD is connected to the mainboard
> controller of course.

The SSD is on the mainboard controller.  I have no idea what the SATA
controller's original mode was, but just now it was set to IDE.  I tried
switching it to AHCI, but that didn't improve anything, and generated a new
"AHCI BIOS not installed" error during boot, so I switched it back to IDE.
Either of the RAID settings seem like bad choices, since I want direct
access to the physical drives for ZFS.