Either VPN method or Radius Method

Dave B g8kbvdave at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 8 20:20:37 UTC 2019

I have had with my Telco overchanrging us for IP traffic!

I am now planning to use their fibre to either connect to my LAN .

Option 1)

OpenVPN - USing Virtual Private Network to bypass
the telco's data charges and uses our services via tunnelling.

2)  Using Radius.

I have a computone for my ancient modem pool using radius.

I wish to Use Radius as a service again to bypass the telcos.

I have freeradius on one server  and gnu radius on the other.

Pointers needed

Hi.

You need to find out how they meter your IP traffic.

If as most do, it's literally a packet (or byte) count, then a VPN won't
help, well not much, unless you can successfully compress the data
without loosing anything.  All they'll see (hopefully) of the VPN
traffic, is bursts of random noise, but the byte count could be higher,
while the packet count might be similar.  But, they will still be able
to bill you for metered traffic.

If it's connection time based, then again, little chance of reducing
costs, as I'd expect there to be a flat per connection charge, + time
connected type of thing, unless as many mobile carriers do, a "per
second" billing scheme on connections (call's.)  But "data" billing is
usually on a byte count scheme.

Maybe find a lower cost carrier?  If that option is open to you.

Regards.

Dave B.