Firefox, X11 fonts and 2gis

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Tue Dec 3 13:00:05 UTC 2019

dmn wrote:

> > > In your case I would also consider creating  new user account
> > > (pw useradd) just to debug this issue.
> >
> > That is actually useful advice, its result surprised me. I created a
> > test user with the default login class, ran startx from that user and
> > you know what! I saw all the text on the map!
> >
> > OK, I logout, assign the test user to the "russian" login class,
> > login, startx, firefox - and here is the map without text again.
> >
> > So the problem is somehow linked to locale, but running something
> > like "env -i LANG=C DISPLAY=:1 firefox" from my regular user does not
> > fix the map.
> >

> I do not use login class for my user account. It's not necessary.
> However, creating a new user and assigning it to the "russian" login
> class makes no difference: firefox displays the fonts on the map
> correctly. /etc/login.conf hasn't been changed.

What's your desktop environment? It's Mate in my case, run from startx.

> Unless you have to use some special settings for your login class, I
> think a short-term solution would be to not use login classes at all.

I just created a test user account without assigning it to any login
class. Then I logged in as this test user, ran "setenv LANG ru_RU.UTF-8 ;
startx", then started Firefox - and you know what! The map is without
text.

So it is not the login class to blame, but some locale-related stuff.
But I can't live in C locale.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/