Firefox, X11 fonts and 2gis

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Tue Dec 3 03:56:37 UTC 2019

Polytropon wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > I'm using firefox-70.0_3,1 on 11.3-STABLE installed from ports,
> > > and it displays the map on that web site correctly. webfonts package is
> > > not installed.
> > >
> > > When dealing with firefox problems, it's always suggested to run it
> > > with the --ProfileManager command line option, create a new profile and
> > > test under that new profile (without touching any configuration).
> >
> > I've already tried with a clean Firefox profile, does not make any
> > difference.
>
> Verified here - text of webpage and window decoration is present,
> but missing on the map.

Thank you for the verification. I was beginning to think that I was
going crazy.

> > > In your case I would also consider creating  new user account
> > > (pw useradd) just to debug this issue.
> > >

> > That is actually useful advice, its result surprised me. I created a
> > test user with the default login class, ran startx from that user and
> > you know what! I saw all the text on the map!
> >
> > OK, I logout, assign the test user to the "russian" login class, login,
> > startx, firefox - and here is the map without text again.
> >
> > So the problem is somehow linked to locale, but running something
> > like "env -i LANG=C DISPLAY=:1 firefox" from my regular user does not fix the map.
> >
> > Any more useful advice?
>
> Interesting - my locale settings are (obviously) entirely
> different. In a "Pokemon manner" (catch them all), because
> you never really know which program cares about a specific
> setting, I have those:
>
> 	setenv  LANGUAGE        de

[dd]

> Additionally, setting $LANG, even though it has precedence over
> $LC_*, might not be honored by Firefox accordingly. There are
> other environmental variables that could have an effect (see
> list above). However, it's not clear just from their names
> which could be the one.

Well, running "env -i LANG=C DISPLAY=:1 firefox" should have cleared all
the environmental variables (including locale-related ones), but this
did not work for me.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/