Firefox, X11 fonts and 2gis

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Mon Dec 2 16:57:33 UTC 2019

dmn wrote:

> > The package webfonts-0.30_14 is installed, but I know no way to tell
> > if the X-server is actually using any fonts from there. It all happens
> > automagically now, there is no xorg.conf, and I don't know how to
> > print the current FontPath or font list.
> >

> $ xset q
>
> It will show you the 'Font Path' used by X, among other information.

Aha.

Font Path:
  /usr/local/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/local/share/fonts/TTF/,/usr/local/share/fonts/OTF/,/usr/local/share/fonts/Type1/,/usr/local/share/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/local/share/fonts/75dpi/,built-ins

Evidently, Mate is not using the webfonts. But please read on.

> I'm using firefox-70.0_3,1 on 11.3-STABLE installed from ports,
> and it displays the map on that web site correctly. webfonts package is
> not installed.
>
> When dealing with firefox problems, it's always suggested to run it
> with the --ProfileManager command line option, create a new profile and
> test under that new profile (without touching any configuration).

I've already tried with a clean Firefox profile, does not make any
difference.

> In your case I would also consider creating  new user account
> (pw useradd) just to debug this issue.

That is actually useful advice, its result surprised me. I created a
test user with the default login class, ran startx from that user and
you know what! I saw all the text on the map!

OK, I logout, assign the test user to the "russian" login class, login,
startx, firefox - and here is the map without text again.

So the problem is somehow linked to locale, but running something
like "env -i LANG=C DISPLAY=:1 firefox" from my regular user does not fix the map.

Any more useful advice?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/