PS mouse/USB mouse no response

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 12:23:21 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 12:34 AM Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 21:21:12 -0400, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> > >
> > > That's not sufficient. First, check for the psm (PS/2 mouse)
> > > device to exist:
> > >
> > >     # dmesg | grep psm
> > >     psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> > >     psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> > >     psm0: model MouseMan+, device ID 0
> >
> > I seem to remember that PS/2 devices only work if attached before boot.
> > Is that correct?
>
> That is correct, expected, and logical.
>
> The PS/2 connector is _not_ capable of hot-plug operations. You can
> even destroy it when you plug / unplug a PS/2 keyboard or mouse when
> the system is already powered on. The specification of that port is
> from a time where hot-plugging was not common, so don't take the risk.
>

> > And, if so, is that how the OP is trying the experiment?
>
> By rebooting. The PS/2 mouse will be connected when the system is
> powered off. If possible, it should be _really_ powered off with
> the switch on the back of the power supply. If there is no such
> switch, remove the power cable, just to be sure. After reboot,
> the dmesg output should contain the PS/2 mouse entry. Without that
> entry, any experiments on PS/2 mouse support are futile.
>
> With USB, it's a lot easier: It can be plugged in during system
> operation, and kernel messages (or dmesg output, or system log
> file) will immediately (!) tell you what has been attached. Further-
> more, devd will, in case a ums-type device has been recognized,
> start moused with the appropriate parameters.
>
> This should all work in "text mode" (console), and of course in X.
>

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

Dear kind folks,

I have great news.  I plugged in a usb to ps2 converter and stuck in
the usb mouse and it works!

root at f104-2:~ # dmesg | grep psm
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
psm0: model IntelliMouse Explorer, device ID 4
root at f104-2:~ #

Thanks for all your help.  The usb mouse worked by plugging it in to
the front usb drives but not the back ones when starting the machine.
olivares at f104-2$ uname -a
FreeBSD f104-2 12.0-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p10 GENERIC  amd64
olivares at f104-2$

Best Regards,

Antonio