PS mouse/USB mouse no response

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Aug 24 05:54:12 UTC 2019

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 18:16:14 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> I have and old HP machine which ran windows 7 home premium and I
> sucessfully loaded FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p10 updated successfully both
> freebsd-update and through pkg. The machine boots and loads X but the mouse
> does not respond. I have tried a PS2 mouse and corresponding
> moused_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf [...]

That's not sufficient. First, check for the psm (PS/2 mouse)
device to exist:

	# dmesg | grep psm
	psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
	psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
	psm0: model MouseMan+, device ID 0

Then add the following to /etc/rc.conf:

	moused_enable="YES"
	moused_type="auto"
	moused_port="/dev/psm0"

Even though the _enable flag should be enough, sometimes moused
doesn't seem to recognize the PS/2 mouse, that's why the lines
for _type and _port.

The mouse should be recognized now.

It can work in parallel with a USB mouse. You don't have to do
anything more than the _enable line for the USB mouse to work.

> [...] and a USB mouse connected to back USB
> ports and neither of the two work.

Again, check if they are present, as noted above, and:

	# dmesg | grep ums
	ums0 on uhub7
	ums0: <vendor 0x062a product 0x0000,
		class 0/0, rev 1.10/2.04, addr 6> on usbus2
	ums0: 5 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=0

Here, ums is the USB mouse driver.

Sidenote: On the machine I've taken those examples from, both
PS/2 and USB mouse work "in parallel". In /etc/rc.conf, I don't
have the _type and _port entries, but they might be worth checking
for investigation; read "man moused" for debug flag (very handy
for experiments, as you can manually start moused, see what's
happening or not, and use ^C to quit it).

> The usb's power the USB mouse but the
> pointer does not move and the ps2 mouse also turns on but does not work.

Do they work in "text mode" (before starting X)?

> do not have Hal installed, but on another machine it is not installed but
> mouse works.

You don't need HAL or other crap for a simple mouse to work.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany