ipv6 and freebsd 12.0-R

Mike the.lists at mgm51.com
Wed Aug 14 16:02:53 UTC 2019

On 8/14/2019 6:25 AM, tech-lists wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:58:12AM -0400, Mike via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> On 8/12/2019 11:17 AM, tech-lists wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want a freebsd machine acting as a router and PPPoE client to obtain its
>>> ipv6 /64 from my ISP and dole out and route ipv6 addresses from my ipv6 /48
>>> (also provided by/routed by my ISP).
>>> [snip]
>>
>> If the IPv6 /64 address and the IPv6 /48 prefix are given out via DHCP,
>> you might need to look at a suitable DHCP client.
>>
>> I've used the ISC DHCP dhclient with success.
>>
>> https://www.freshports.org/net/isc-dhcp44-client/
>
> Hi,
>
> would you know -server and -relay are also required for my use case?
>
> thanks,

I don't know enough of your scenario to answer that.

I can tell you how it works in my case...

My ISP (Comcast residential) provides the IPv6 address and prefix via DHCP.

When my system boots up, it solicits a router advertisement. I run
OpenBSD, and I put the following in hostname.if to solicit the router
advertisement:

  inet6 autoconf

Your OS may use the rtsol command or something similar.

Then it runs dhclient, with the command below, to get the IPv6 address
and the prefix (in my case a /62 prefix).

/usr/local/sbin/dhclient -6 --no-pid -P -N --prefix-len-hint 62
--address-prefix-len 64 -cf /usr/local/etc/dhcp/dhclient6.conf -lf
/var/db/dhcp/dhclient6.leases.wan em0

(note that if you are also using IPv4 DHCP, you'll need a separate
instance of the dhclient command for IPv4)

You probably need to contact your ISP to find out the correct sequence
that you should use to obtain the IPv6 addresses you want.